Friday, July 20, 2018

Community

Do you know whats going on in your community?

Do you feel part of the community?

Something that my journey has lead me to is finding my own community, getting more social in my community and discovery what wonderful community resources I have at my finger tips!

So we have local farmers markets:
1st Saturday of the month is Bridge mall
2nd Saturday of the month is Wendouree lake, Sunday is Clunes
3rd Saturday of the month is Creswick, Sunday is Talbot
4th Saturday of the month is Wendouree lake, Sunday is Avoca

We have local farmers:
Spring creek organics, Kielys rd 3352 Navigators (you can visit their farm or see them at the farmers markets, find them on Facebook)
Food garden (organic farm fresh veg from multiple local farms that you can pick up or get delivered, find them online http://foodgarden.com.au or on Facebook)

Bulk by take your own bags/jars:
Go Vita, 23 Sturt st Ballarat
Ballarat wholefood collective, Reid st Brown hill reserve Ballarat in the cricket hall (you need to join, simply print out form & pay $50 first time joining fee and renew for $20 each year there after) It is volunteer run and only open on Wednesday's 9am-11am 5pm-7pm

Holistic health:
Acorn & Oak herbal dispensary 46 Armstrong st Ballarat (An amazing, colorful array of herbs & tea's and the friendly staff can help to prepare tinctures, special teas and more amazing potions that are tailored to your specific needs)
Go Vita (A great range of health related vegan friendly products)

This is just what I have discovered so far, I dare say its not even scratching the surface of what I have available in my local area. I promise I will add and update this list :)



Getting involved in your community is not only supporting local farmers, growers & business's but also making your community a better one, a healthier one and most of all a more passionate one!

Not only have I become a more social shopper but I've also become more mindful of who I buy from, when you buy something you are supporting that business something I never really put much thought into until I changed my diet to whole food plant based. My diet change opened my eyes to the horrible world that is the meat industry, I cannot believe what is deemed ok in the meat industry but only now do I realise that being a consumer of meat and me purchasing me was ultimately me saying its ok to miss treat, torture and kill animals.

This too can be said about consuming products from the 'big' shops, my purchasing from super markets etc is supporting the over depletion of natural resources, creating masses of waste, taking away money from small business and so much more!

I also wasn't a nice consumer, I just wanted my stuff I didn't to talk I just wanted to get in and get out.... Yep I was a bitch! I am ashamed of what my over consumption made me but the honest truth was I was not a nice person!

The reality is as consumers we need to educate ourselves on where our products are coming from and what we are supporting when purchasing those products.

Now I am passionate about what I consume, I am passionate about who I support because ultimately I'm voting for something whether that be animal cruelty or local veg growers. I am now so much happier and I love learning and conversing with my local producers. Shopping day is no longer dreaded it is something I really look forward to, meeting the happy farmers, grower, producers and learning how they lovingly make or grow their produce for me to buy to nourish and enrich my family :)

Don't be a bitch like I was! Support the community, get social, join in and ultimately be HAPPY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment